Welcome to The Neighborhood Garden! We are an organic produce co-op that provides organic fruits & veggies for less. Because we buy in bulk, we receive extremely low prices. For $33 you will take home 11-12 different varieties of organic fruits and veggies. Not only will you no longer pay grocery store prices for produce, but you may find that you are buying fewer unhealthy snacks.
If you would like more info please email me at email@example.com.
All of our produce is top quality. If you ever have a problem simply let me know and it will be made up the following week.
We offer 12 different pick up locations and delivery to limited areas. Each Monday we pick up at our Arlington, Northside, Julington Creek, World Golf Village and Nocatee location. Each Thursday is Kensington, Atlantic Beach, JTB/Hodges, Mandarin, Orange Park, Westside, and Riverside.
We also have a convenient delivery service. Delivery is offered from Arlington to Ponte Vedra at this time. For only $5 you can have your produce brought to your front door. Won't be home? Just leave a cooler by your front door and it will be waiting for you!
Thursday, April 23, 2009
By Lea Ann Fessenden-Joseph, eHow Editor
Rate: (2 Ratings)
Fresh cilantro will only remain fresh for five to 10 days in the refrigerator. If you are harvesting or buying large quantities, you may want to consider freezing the herbs for use in cooking later. Of course, some of the vibrant flavor will be lost, but certainly not all.
If you don't have an ice cube tray handy try a mini muffin tin.
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 5 serrano chiles, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- In a medium bowl, stir together tomatoes, onion, chili peppers, cilantro, salt, and lime juice. Chill for one hour in the refrigerator before serving.
The name says it all. There 's a chocolate layer and a thick and creamy banana cream layer. But there are also lots of whipped cream topping and shredded, toasted coconut. Chill and serve this sensational deep-dish dessert to a cheering crowd.
|Yield:||1 - deep dish pie|
|1 (9 inch) deep dish pie crust, baked and cooled|
2 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon butter
2 bananas, sliced
1 1/2 cups cold milk
1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
2 tablespoons flaked coconut, toasted
- Combine chocolate, 1 tablespoon milk, and butter or margarine in a medium, microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Spread evenly in pie crust.
- Arrange banana slices over chocolate.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups milk into a large bowl. Add pudding mix, and beat with wire whisk for 2 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 cups coconut. Spoon over banana slices in crust.
- Spread whipped topping over pie. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Refrigerate 4 hours, or until set. Store in refrigerator.
Servings Per Recipe: 8
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories:||377 cal||Total Fat:||20.7 g||Cholesterol:||8 mg|
|Sodium:||405 mg||Carbohydrates:||46.3 g||Fiber:||2.1 g|
Bring the sweet flavor of the tropics to your next summer meal! This blend of distinctive fruit flavors is great with chips, or as a topping for seafood and poultry.
|1 mango - peeled, seeded and diced|
1 papaya - peeled, seeded and diced
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
1/2 sweet onion, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, mix mango, papaya, red bell pepper, avocado, sweet onion, cilantro, and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving.
Servings Per Recipe: 8
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories:||76 cal||Total Fat:||4 g||Cholesterol:||0 mg|
|Sodium:||6 mg||Carbohydrates:||10.7 g||Fiber:||2.6 g|
Cilantro and cayenne give this tasty guacamole a kick. Makes four servings.
|3 avocados - peeled, pitted, and mashed|
1 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup diced onion
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a medium bowl, mash together the avocados, lime juice, and salt. Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and garlic. Stir in cayenne pepper. Refrigerate 1 hour for best flavor, or serve immediately.
Servings Per Recipe: 4
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories:||264 cal||Total Fat:||23.3 g||Cholesterol:||0 mg|
|Sodium:||601 mg||Carbohydrates:||16.4 g||Fiber:||8.8 g|
Cook chicken tenders quickly on the grill and top with pesto made with cilantro and sesame seeds for a zesty, speedy dinner. Serve with: Quinoa and grilled asparagus.
|Prep Time:||35 minutes|
|Ready in:||35 minutes|
|Ease of Prep:||Easy|
|1/4 cup lime juice|
|1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce|
|1 tablespoon canola oil|
|1 teaspoon chili powder|
|1 pound chicken tenders|
|2 cups loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves (1-2 bunches)|
|2 scallions , sliced|
|2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (see Ingredient Note)|
- Whisk lime juice, soy sauce, oil and chili powder in a large bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the marinade in a small bowl. Add chicken to the remaining marinade; toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or up to 1 hour.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Meanwhile, place cilantro, scallions, sesame seeds and the reserved marinade in a food processor and process until fairly smooth.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Remove the chicken from the marinade (discard marinade) and grill until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, about 2 minutes per side. Serve the chicken with the cilantro-sesame pesto.
Ingredient Note: Sesame seeds can be purchased already toasted. Look for them near other Asian ingredients. Or toast your own in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Tip: To oil the grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Health Advantages: low calorie, low carb, low sat fat, low sodium, heart healthy, healthy weight, gluten free diet.
|Servings Per Recipe: 4|
|Amount Per serving|
|Calories:||152 cal||Carbohydrate Servings:||0|
|Carbohydrates:||3 g||Dietary Fiber:||1 g||Cholesterol:||67 mg|
|Fat:||4 g||Sodium:||290 mg||Saturated Fat:||0 g|
|Protein:||27 g||Potassium:||105 mg||Monounsaturated Fat:||2 g|
|Nutrition Bonus:||Vitamin A (15% daily value).|
|Exchanges:||3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat|
Directions for Freezing Sweet Potato
Ingredients and Equipment
- sweet potatoes (see step 1)
- A sharp, large serrated knife
- Freezer bags or containers
Recipe and Directions
Step 1 - Choose your sweet potatoes
Choose medium to large sweet potatoes that have been cured for at least one week (they're sweeter). Select sound, firm roots. For the most food value, choose sweet potatoes of a deep orange color.
Handle them carefully to prevent bruising. Ideal storage conditions are a dry, unrefrigerated area at 55 to 60 degrees F. Do NOT refrigerate, because temperatures below 55 degrees F. will chill it, giving it a hard core and an undesirable taste when cooked.
Sort according to size and wash.
Step 2 - Cook the sweet potatoes
Cook until almost tender using any one of the following methods:
- in water,
- in steam,
- in a pressure cooker or
- in the oven.
Cook them until they are partially soft (about 15 to 20 minutes in fully boiling water).
Step 4 - Cool
Let stand at room temperature until cool.
Step 5 - Peel
Peel the sweet potatoes, cut in halves, slice or mash. (mashing is ok for freezing, just not canning)
Step 6 - Avoid darkening
If desired, to prevent darkening, dip whole sweet potatoes or slices for 5 seconds in a solution of 1/2 cup lemon juice to 1 quart water.
To keep mashed sweet potatoes from darkening, mix 2 tablespoons orange or lemon juice with each quart of mashed sweet potatoes.
Step 7 - Pack
Pack into containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. You can pack it containers, like Ziploc bags or plastic containers, exclude as much air as you can, and freeze it!
Step 8 - Freeze
Seal and freeze.